Peak District View - Panoramic views of the Peak District
 
 

Navigation
» Home
» Featured Visits
» Wonders of the Peak
» Famous People
» About Us
» Subscribe
» Advertise with Us
» Things to Do
» Contact Us
» Random Visit
» Local Links
» Link to Us
» Site Information
» Site Map
» Getting Here
» News
» Visit Our Blog

Search the Peak District




Buy Antique Prints of
» The Peak District

And also :-
» Scotland
» Wales
» Ireland
» Devon
» Cornwall
» Yorkshire Dales
» Lake District
» London
» Channel Islands

Follow PDView on Twitter



Doveridge Hall

Doveridge Hall

Doveridge Hall was built in 1769 for Sir Henry Cavendish, 1st Baronet, by Edward Stevens, a pupil of the eminent 18th century architect, Sir William Chambers.

Sir Henry Manners Cavendish was born on 8th November 1793 and succeeded to the title of Lord Waterpark on the death of his father, Sir Richard Cavendish on 1st June 1830. Henry was the eldest of six sons. Another brother, Richard, married Elizabeth Maria Hart of Crake-marsh Hall, near Uttoxeter, and so brought the Crake-marsh estate to the Cavendish family through his marriage. Richard led a distinguished life in the service of India until his death. Sir Henry's youngest brother, Thomas, became Vicar of Doveridge in 1839 and remained so for twenty years.

On 18th July 1837, Sir Henry married Elizabeth Jane Anson. She was the daughter of the 1st Viscount Anson and the sister of the 1st Earl of Lichfield of Shugborough Hall, near Stafford. She was appointed Extra Lady of the Bedchamber to Queen Victoria, a position in the Royal Household. She was awarded the Royal Victoria and Albert Medal for her services. By her marriage to Sir Henry they had three children, the eldest of whom was Henry Anson Cavendish, the only son, and heir to the title. Their youngest daughter, Adelaide, was appointed Maid of Honour to Victoria and married Mr Samuel Clowes of Norbury Manor.

Because of the difficult times estates both in England and Ireland had endured, many were forced to decrease the size of their estates and lease or sell off surplus land and property. It seems that it was for that reason that the decision was taken to move from Doveridge Hall to East Lodge, the large house that now faces onto the Cavendish Close estate off Bakers Lane. For, in the same year as the death of Sir Henry Manners Cavendish in 1863 the family left the Hall for East Lodge and leased the Hall to various people.

It has been said that the Lords Waterpark continued to own the Hall until its demolition but other references indicate that the property was sold outright to one Frank Addison Brace, formerly of the firm Brace, Blyth, Windle and Co, harness manufacturers of Walsall, in 1892, who subsequently sold the property when he became ill and was forced abroad for treatment. The buyer was the 2nd Lord Hindlip who had leased the property earlier from the Lords Waterpark. It was at Doveridge Hall that Lord Hindlip entertained the Prince of Wales, later Edward VII, on his visit to Derby races.

The estate had its ups and downs through the late 19th century and as with most English estates, enjoyed a slight recovery in the 1920's before financial problems and shortage of staff began to see the beginning of the end of the country estates as they had been. After going through various occupants, the Hall was finally up for sale again on 16th April 1935, a good many of the properties and land going to residents of Doveridge.

The Hall itself, together with 85 acres of land, was not included in the auction, but was sold privately to one Vernon Cowlishaw, a silk manufacturer of Leek, for 4,000.

Again the property seems to have been too much of a financial burden and so passed through various owners in quick succession before it was finally bought by Messrs Ward and Godbehere of Uttoxeter who subsequently held a sale of all the remaining fittings. The house was finally demolished in 1938. The new by-pass was at the time under construction and a good deal of the rubble was used as foundation ballast for the new road.

By many standards Doveridge Hall, and its estates had not survived for a great length of time, only 170 years. The Lords Waterpark had only lived there for 94 years before leasing and finally selling it. Sir Henry Manners Cavendish, 3rd Lord Waterpark had to guide the estate through a very difficult time in the mid 1800's until he died on 31st March 1863. He was the first member of his family to be buried in the family vault near the west door of St Cuthbert's Church.

There are currently no panoramic photographs for this location.
 

Environment
NewLandOwner

Artists
Kute Fine Art

Accommodation - Youth Hostel
YHA Dimmingsdale

Lifestyle
NewLandOwner

Consultancy
NewLandOwner

I.T.
Zycomm Electronics Limited

Retail
Kute Fine Art




Most Popular Places
Air Crash Site
Riber Castle
Woodhead Pass
Titan Cave System
Mam Tor

Recently Updated Places
Five Pits Trail Pic...
Clay Cross Countrys...
Damflask Reservoir
River Rivelin
Stannington

Admin Login