Peak District View - Panoramic views of the Peak District
 
 

Navigation
» Home
» Featured Visits
» Wonders of the Peak
» Famous People
» About Us
» Subscribe
» Advertise with Us
» Things to Do
» Contact Us
» Random Visit
» Local Links
» Link to Us
» Site Information
» Site Map
» Getting Here
» News
» Visit Our Blog

Search the Peak District




Buy Antique Prints of
» The Peak District

And also :-
» Scotland
» Wales
» Ireland
» Devon
» Cornwall
» Yorkshire Dales
» Lake District
» London
» Channel Islands

Follow PDView on Twitter



All Saints Church, Kedleston

All Saints Church, Kedleston

All Saints Church, Kedleston, is a redundant Anglican church standing adjacent to Kedleston Hall, a country house in Derbyshire.



It has been designated by English Heritage as a Grade I listed building. Kedleston Hall is owned by the National Trust, and the church is under the care of the Churches Conservation Trust. Kedleston Hall has been occupied by the Curzon family for over 700 years.

The settlement of Kedleston was recorded in the Domesday Book, and the first mention of a church here was in 119899. The only remaining part of that church is the Norman south doorway and the adjoining wall. The greater part of the present church dates from rebuilding in the 13th century.



At some time between 1480 and 1510, the top of the tower was rebuilt in Perpendicular style. Between 1700 and 1720, decorative features, including vases and a sundial, were added to the east face. In 1759 building of the present hall started. The area occupied by the village of Kedleston was replaced by parkland.

In 188485 John Oldrid Scott carried out a major restoration. This included raising the level of the roof line, installing a new timber ceiling, adding a new west window in Decorated style, laying a new floor, and removing the box pews from the nave.

In 1908, Lord George Curzon added a chapel to the north of the nave over a burial vault. This was a memorial to his wife, Mary, and was designed by G. F. Bodley. In 191012 the stained glass in the windows was replaced and additions were made to it.

The church was declared redundant on 1 April 1983, and was vested in the Churches Conservation Trust on 18 April 1989.



The church is constructed in sandstone with Welsh slate roofs. Its plan is cruciform, with a central tower over a crossing, a nave with a north chapel, north and south transepts, a chancel with a clerestory, and a north vestry. The south doorway is Norman in style, having a round-headed arch decorated with a zigzag pattern, enclosing a tympanum with weathered carvings of beasts. To the right of the doorway are two two-light windows with flat arches. Each transept is buttressed and has a window consisting of three stepped lancets. In the south wall of the chancel is a priest's door, with a lancet window on the left, and a two-light window under a flat arch to the right. In the clerestory are two-light windows in both the south and the north walls. The east wall has diagonal buttresses and a three-light window. Along the top is a parapet, in the centre of which is a sundial. This is inscribed with the words "We shall", and skulls and crossbones; on its summit are hourglasses. At the ends of the parapet are urn finials. In the north wall of the chancel is a two-light window, and the north wall of the vestry has two paired lancet windows. The chapel has three bays separated by buttresses. In each bay is a three-light window under which are three trefoils acting as ventilators. Along the parapet is the inscription "QUIA MULTUM AMAVIT". The west wall has diagonal buttresses and a three-light window. Above this is a lancet window in the gable. The tower is in two stages. In the lower stage are two lancet windows, and in the upper stage are two-light bell openings on each side. The summit has a battlemented parapet, with crocketted pinnacles at the corners.

Between the nave and the chapel to its north is a three-bay arcade. There is an aumbry recess and a piscina in the chancel, and another piscina in the south transept. The north transept contains the organ. The font dates from the 18th century and consists of a circular bowl on a polygonal shaft; it has a wooden cover. The wooden pulpit is from the 19th century, and the brass lectern in the shape of an eagle dates from 1886. In the chancel are box pews. The altar is Jacobean in style. In the arcade is a wrought iron screen with gates. The church contains light fittings and a corona lucis, also in wrought iron, and five hatchments. The stained glass in one of the windows in the chancel dates from the 17th century, and was moved into the church in 1910. The other stained glass dates from the late 19th and early 20th century. The two-manual organ was built in 1899 by W. Hill and Son of London, and rebuilt and enlarged by the same firm in 1910.

In the church are 35 monuments to the Curzon family; these include free-standing tombs, wall monuments and floor tablets. They date from the 13th to the 20th centuries. The largest is a free-standing tomb in the chapel. It bears the effigies of Lord George Curzon, who died in 1925, and his wife Mary, for whom the chapel was built and who died in 1906 at the age of 36. It is a table tomb in white marble; two angels holding the crown of life, lean over the effigies. The memorial was designed by Sir Bertram MacKennel. The following memorials are in the south transept. There is a tomb chest with the effigies of Sir John Curzon and his wife, dating from 1456. Sir John is dressed in armour, at the feet of the effigies are dogs, and on the sides of the tomb are the figures of their 17 children. Also in the transept is a plain slab decorated with a cross and foliage to the memory of Thomas de Curzon, who died in 1245. There is a wall memorial to Sir John Curzon, who died in 1686, and his wife, Patience, who died in 1642. A further wall memorial is to another Sir John Curzon who died in 1727. There are more memorials in the north transept. One is designed by Peter Scheemakers to the memory of Sir Nathaniel Curzon, who died in 1718, and his wife Sarah. A further memorial is to another Sir Nathaniel Curzon and his family dated 1758. This was made by Michael Rysbrack to a design by Robert Adam.

There are currently no panoramic photographs for this location.
 

Environment
NewLandOwner

Artists
Kute Fine Art

Lifestyle
NewLandOwner

Consultancy
NewLandOwner

I.T.
Zycomm Electronics Limited

Retail
Kute Fine Art




Most Popular Places
Air Crash Site
Riber Castle
Woodhead Pass
Titan Cave System
Mam Tor

Recently Updated Places
Five Pits Trail Pic...
Clay Cross Countrys...
Damflask Reservoir
River Rivelin
Stannington

Admin Login